"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?" -Albert Einstein
Folks, it goes without saying that it has been a tough week around the nation. (Just a reminder, here are ways to help both Boston and West.) When things in the world are sad and gloomy, I sometimes escape to my Instagram and remind myself of all the very very small things that can bring some cheer. Albeit some of the items are trivial but it's about appreciating these small things that have unexpectedly turned that space for me (and others) into a little happy journal. What little things are making you happy today? Here's mine:
1. Spring inspired ombre cakes in the Society Bakery window. Spotted them when I was picking up these guys.
2. Triangles have always been my favorite polygon so I was excited when I found this necklace at Francesca's.
3. Celebrating Earth Day a little early with my first terrarium. I don't have the best track record with succulents but hopefully this time we have a winner. Learn how to make your own terrarium here and here.
4. Did you know the grapefruit was first described in 1750 as the "forbidden fruit"? In Texas, it is peak forbidden fruit season so, it's fitting that my favorite beverage is Trader Joe's refreshing Rio Red Grapefruit juice. (Striped paper straws are from Paper Source)
5. After months of remodeling, we finally have a functional kitchen. There are still some updates to be made, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far. If you're interested in the materials and what the "before" looked like (can we say hello 1998?), it will all be in an upcoming post.
6. Having a functional kitchen means being able to eat something that didn't come out of a microwave (that's been in my living room!) or a takeout box. Finally fired up the stove to make some Thai veggie green curry (similar recipe here).
image source: @pinkrickshaw