"You don't get to run. You're a gladiator. Gladiators don't run. They fight. They slay dragons. They wipe off the blood and they stitch up their wounds and they fight to live another day. You don't get to run."-Olivia Pope, Scandal
Is a melodramatic Olivia Pope quote on gladiators enough to get your attention on this summer footwear trend? Good. Gladiator sandals, like Ms. Pope, are high drama and need your full attention this season. So heed Olivia's advice when you're donning a pair of these stylish sandals. Remember, gladiators (err..gladiator sandal wearers) don't run. (They leisurely stroll through farmers markets' looking effortlessly chic) They fight. (Usually for a table at brunch) So, before I stretch this any further and start discussing slaying dragons, here are nine reasons to give these chic leg-wrappers a try.
9. The style is (NBD) thousands of years old. How can you not love footwear with a history like this?
8. If like me, you bypassed this trend last summer (or years past because it just seemed like a music festival fad), try them now. I regretted not getting a tall pair last summer (opting instead for ankle length Sam Edelman ones) and was thrilled that high sandals were back this season and wear a pair almost every weekend. The style is at the height of popularity which means that there are tons of variations and materials to choose from (at all price points) and there is a style that is flattering for every leg type. I promise. (If your legs are thinner, try something a little chunkier or with buckles. If you're shorter, try the thinner strapped ones which will create the illusion of longer legs.) If last year was all about practical sandals like Birkenstocks, this summer is definitely being ruled by various forms of the gladiator sandal. The tan sandals I am wearing in the picture (inset) are Steve Madden.
7. Two words: warrior princess
6. Gladiator sandals elevate the simplest dress or outfit. They work best with a flowing, simple dress (midi or mini) and for an edgier look, pair them with denim shorts.
5. The footwear trend ruled Spring 2015 runways but was also spotted on Fall 2015 runways as well, indicating lasting power into autumn
4. Two more words: shin protection
3. Feel as powerful as you would wearing heels (but with the comfort of flats)
2. No matter how tall you are, they will make your legs look about 12 times longer
1. No one will think twice when you introduce yourself like this
A few favorite sandals (shown above):
Top row: Stuart Weitzman / Steve Madden / Schutz / Stuart Weitzman
Bottom row: Valentino / J. Crew* / Schutz* / Rebecca Minkoff
(*A few shorties if you're not quite ready to go knee-high)